RERresearch has discovered that during the 2012 general election cycle, the Republican Party of Texas made a campaign contribution $19,884.75 to State Rep. Sarah Davis (R-Houston RER42). Steve Munisteri was the Chairman. Tom Mechler, current interim Chair and a candidate for a full term at this month’s convention, was the Treasurer.
State Rep. Davis is pro-abortion and pro-homosexual movement. She is endorsed by Planned Parenthood and the pro-homosexual movement PAC, Equality Texas.
Munisteri was elected Chairman at the 2010 RPT State Convention in Dallas. His opponents were the interim Chair, Cathie Adams, and Tom Mechler from Amarillo.
When the votes were counted at the convention, Mechler was in third place. A deal was cut between Mechler and Munisteri to put Munisteri over the top. Mechler would throw his support behind Munisteri, Mechler would become party treasurer, and Mechler’s running mate for Vice-Chair, Melinda Fredricks would get that position. Additionally, the skids would be greased during Munisteri’s administration for Mechler to be his successor.
Here’s a cut and paste from the 2012 RPT Platform:
Party Candidates and the Platform on Protecting Innocent Human Life – We implore our Party to support, financially or with in-kind contributions, only those candidates who support protecting innocent human life. Further, we strongly encourage the State Republican Executive Committee to hear and recognize the longstanding and overwhelmingly consistent voice of the grass roots and revise its by-laws to make this action binding on our Party.
The language is clear and the delegation “implored” the party leadership to adjust the bylaws of the party to follow the instructions of the plank. The contribution was made to Davis after this platform was passed.
The plank was significantly watered down in the 2014 platform. But, the intent of the convention delegation is still apparent.
Candidate Support– The Republican Party of Texas should provide financial support only to those candidates who support the right to life planks.
Mechler was the treasurer. He sees all the checks that go out of the party office. He sees the accounts and party ledgers. His signature most likely was on the check that was sent to Davis. That’s speculation.
But, there’s no speculation about Mechler’s pro-life public declarations. A contribution to Sarah Davis is contradictory to those declarations and a violation of the spirit of the party as expressed in at least two successive platforms while Mechler served on the brain trust of the RPT. He was in charge of the money.
How bad is Sarah Davis?
- Voted against the Sonogram Bill in the 2011 session. Her freshman session.
- Voted against the 20-week abortion ban. Compared the bill to Obamacare.
- Voted against the defunding of Planned Parenthood in Texas and parroted the talking points of Wendy Davis. Appeared on MSNBC to support the continued funding of Planned Parenthood.
- Was heralded by nationally media as being the first Republican in Texas to be endorsed by the pro-homosexual movement PAC, Equality Texas.
- Published an op-ed posted on Chron.com lashing the GOP for its pro-life positions. Read it here.
- Was placed on the powerful Texas House Calendars Committee for the express purpose of killing pro-life legislation by Speaker of the House Joe Straus. Straus contributed $30,000 to her campaign through his PAC in the 2014 cycle and was featured at a Houston fundraiser for Davis.
You may have missed the story back in 2013 when it was discovered by a couple of good citizen journalists. David Bellows wrote about the outrage and outcry that occurred at the time.
While the Texas GOP base, and most Republicans of all stripes, are fighting to protect the lives of baby Texans, and attempting to at least stop the government funding of the leading abortion provider in the nation, the Treasure of the Republican Party of Texas, Tom Mechler, was participating in the contributing to a pro-abortion, Planned Parenthood-endorsed candidate.
Copyright©2016 Raging Elephants Radio LLC