The 84th legislature is days away from ending and conservatives are struggling to salvage what they can in the waning days of the session. With a new Republican Governor, a new Republican Lieutenant Governor and significant Republican majorities in both chambers of the Texas Legislature, the promised conservative legislative agenda has been delayed, attacked, changed and replaced during the session.
So who is to blame for this state of affairs? Was it the Democrats? Was it the legislative process itself? Why can’t an overwhelmingly Republican Legislature pass a conservative agenda? Didn’t every Republican office holder campaign on a conservative agenda? Weren’t we promised that this session would be a watershed moment in the legislative history of Texas with respect to liberty and freedom? It appears that once again, the corrupt, rather than the courageous, have won the day in the Texas Legislature.
My God, my hands shake as I write this message to my Texas brothers and sisters. The outrage is almost unbearable with the betrayal of our principles and values by those we have entrusted to protect or restore our liberties, property, and values. Those who we are literally trusting with our lives with respect to border security, and protecting our electrical infrastructure from terrorist attack or natural disaster. We have entrusted our prosperity, and that our children, to make Texas a free and prosperous State to those we elected, often based upon nothing but their word. The anger I feel burns within me – and as many of you have said – within you! Already they are either claiming “conservative” success or are making feeble excuses that with the passage of time will heal their reputations and prepare them to face their next election as “conservative champions” ready to do the people’s business. Damn them! They are dissembling liars and must be made to pay a price!
My fellow Texans, the time to fight is now! We cannot allow Texas to be lulled to sleep once again. We must seize the offensive and challenge their narrative immediately before their money, media, and surrogates twist the facts of their actions. We know from experience that waiting to engage in primary challenges is not an overly successful strategy. We need a new battle plan.
A Texas Grassroots Accountability Plan:
Therefore, we plan to do something different after this session. Rather than wait until the 2016 primary season, our goal is to damage or make unelectable those who have betrayed Texans during this and previous sessions well in advance of the primaries. The essence of our new strategy is to make these bastards eat their own words! Our plan hinges on our ability to do these simple steps:
- Research the campaign promises that our Representatives, Senators, Lt. Governor and Governor made during the last election. This includes websites, old campaign materials and news articles. We need to nail down and reference every conservative promise made prior to 84th legislative session.
- Next, analyze their performance during the 84th legislative session. This includes votes taken on bills and amendments; whether legislation was held in committees or calendars; and what ‘behind the scene’ maneuvering was done to sabotage good or advance bad legislation. It is imperative that each fact be confirmed with a legislative source (videos, bill histories, legislative journal, news articles, etc.)
- Build dual profiles of the politician. One profile will be based on the campaign image they have worked so hard to craft. The other profile will be based on their actual performance in the legislature. In many cases, this will leave legislators with a “conservative” campaign profile and a “liberal” legislative profile.
- Begin a public campaign to expose those legislators that have campaigned one way and governed another. This will be a widespread grassroots initiative requiring the extensive use of free media, radio call in shows, social media, letters to the editors, one-on-one meetings with influential citizens and political groups, challenge them at their town halls, etc. We will build our own narrative regarding the promises and actions of our legislators. Whether they have a challenger or not, whether they are defeated or not, we want them to be uncomfortable within their usually smug little hearts. We want them to start looking over their shoulders and spend money trying to defend their reputations.
It’s Time to Step Up
It is time for all of us to be warriors. You cannot rely on someone else to do the work of saving this state for you. You either make the effort or you don’t. This is not something that can be done by a small group of activists. This initiative requires grassroots activists across the state to do the basic research regarding the Representatives and Senators in their area for their campaign promises and legislative performance (if you need help figuring out how to do that just let me know). Send your research back to me and I will collect the data and build the profiles for your use. In order to manage all the data from hundreds of activists, I will need your information sent back in a specific format:
Note that I am using the acronym TGAP (Texas Grassroots Accountability Project) to identify the email title (for example): TGAP- Dennis Paul, HD-129
The body of the email should be composed as follows:
- Bullet each position and reference the source.
- Order legislative performance bullets same as campaign positions. Include bills/amendments submitted and championed, votes, legislative actions, etc. Cite sources. Discuss relative pros and cons of the legislator’s actions. (Don’t worry about whether or not you can do a good job – you will. Just put down what you find and we will assemble it. Note that there may be more than one person submitting for your legislator. This will help in building a better profile.)
- Again, please maintain bullet order. Give a quick comparison of the legislator’s campaign positions vs actual legislative performance. Provide one or two points supporting each conclusion.
These emails will enable us to put together a Book of Truth regarding our elected legislators. With these facts and conclusions, we can begin to bring the dishonest and corrupt to their knees. I will make the resulting document available for all the grassroots of Texas to use.
If we put this together with the secret video recordings due to come out this summer showing the bad behavior of some of our legislators in over 800 hours of video tapes, we can definitely take out many corrupt politicians and entrenched interests in Austin. If you will engage, we can strike a huge blow for Texans.
For those of you who will donate a few hours for liberty and better government, I would like all inputs to be done by a June 30 deadline. In order to take advantage of the released secret recordings and to start our narrative that may possibly rock the establishment base of those currently in power.
Areas of Interest
So where do you start? There are so many bills and issues in a legislative session. Our recommendation is to stick to the issues that the grassroots identified before the session in order to narrow and focus your research. I have provided a list of grassroots priorities to help you.
Advance & protect the sanctity of human life from conception to natural death
Restore Second Amendment rights
Protect religious liberty – the right to resist violation of personal conscience
Protect religious freedom of clergy, pastors, and churches
Protect Texas from a federal redefinition of marriage
Prohibit the use of international laws in Texas Courts (ALAC)
Protect and harden the Texas electric grid – a life, security & economic issue
Provide educational freedom and choice for parents and students
Advance fiscal responsibility – constitutional spending limits, budget transparency, debt and tax reform
Reform state transportation policy to end dependence on debt and tolling
Advance private property rights – eminent domain & annexation reform
If you have read down this far – thank you. Mary often wears a t-shirt that says “Let it not be said that we did nothing.” Here is our chance to go on the offensive and do something. Together we can do something powerful that will shake the halls of Austin. It’s time to take Texas back! We do not need a formal state wide tea party organization or a PAC. All we need is action provided by activists. I am proud to share your foxholes. God Bless, Texas!